jueves, 9 de junio de 2016

Teaching Is My Vocation

If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins. (Benjamin Franklin)

All of my life experiences and accomplishments have gone into making me the person I am. Through these experiences, I have discovered that education is my passion, and I have decided to pursue teaching as a vocation. A lifetime of intellectual and academic interests and involvement in teaching have culminated in my decision to pursue this career objective.
My involvement in teaching began when I was young, when, in High School, I participated in community programs that allowed me to become a tutor for young adults who had not completed their basic schooling. Second, I have worked in community programs in which I have had the opportunity to work as an HIV/AIDS educator in community-based organizations. Third, I have taken different courses related to education and become a certified Teaching Assistant. Lastly, since 2012 I have been working as a paraprofessional in different New York City schools.
Volunteering for two years as a tutor in the Dominican Republic was a very rewarding experience. This was the first time I taught young adults who had been unable to attend school. This experience led me to discover my passion for education. Reflecting on the success and enthusiasm I inspired in my students made me feel simultaneously fulfilled and humbled. It was then that I realized that I have a  responsibility to fight for better and more accessible education.
The HIV/AIDS epidemic inspired me to work and help raise awareness of HIV/AIDS prevention in the Hispanic community. I have spoken on the matter in numerous forums during organized educational events. I have also developed and conducted HIV/AIDS workshops for youths and adults. Furthermore, for seven years I produced and conducted a community TV program on HIV/AIDS prevention which aired on MNN. These experiences have strengthened my teaching vocation.
In 2011, I decided to pursue my vocation. I attained a Teaching Assistant Level I license, allowing me to work as an Educational Assistant in New York City schools. I have also taken courses on education, including Early Childhood Education, Education in a Changing World, Teaching Adult Learners, Tecnologías de Información y Comunicación en la Educación, and Introduction to ABA. The above-mentioned training provided me with general information about the content of a teaching degree.
Working for the New York City schools for the last four years has given me broad experience in the school environment and the journey of a school teacher.  Moreover, working in Spanish-speaking communities where our students need to be understood, not only in terms of language but also in terms of culture-related behaviors and customs, made me realize the necessity of bilingual teachers. Lastly, my current permanent position as an Educational Assistant at M079, a Special Education School in Manhattan, confirms my belief that every child has the tools to learn despite his/her physical or intellectual condition.
Reflecting on my experiences as a student, teacher, and parent, I have come to realize three basic characteristics that define my personality and empower my success as a teacher: respect for human dignity, belief in education, and an outgoing personality. These qualities will allow me to work effectively with students, their families, and communities.
My career objectives are, first, to become certified and start working as a Bilingual Special Education Teacher. Second, to finish a graduate degree in Bilingual Special Education. Lastly, it is my ambition to finish a Ph.D. in education. My intellectual and academic goals are to contribute to the development of bilingual education in general and to online bilingual education in particular.
Engaging in a teaching career is a big responsibility and a great honor to have. So, it is important to make sure one has what it takes to be a successful teacher. My life experiences and personality traits assure me of my potential. The knowledge that I have acquired throughout my life and my personal characteristics, along with my career objectives and academic interests, will translate to a successful teaching career.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario